Tuesday 17 May 2016

I'm Ready to Spend 10 Years in EFCC Custody - Ex Minister Denies Collecting N25m

Two-time governor of Kano State, Ibrahim Shekarau, says he is ready to spend the next 10 years in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) if the need arises.
Ibrahim Shekarau
 
Speaking to the press after his release from the custody of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Kano on Sunday, former Governor of Kano State, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau has denied receiving the of N25million from the alleged N950millio campaign fund shared at his residence in Kano before the 2015 general elections in Nigeria
 
It was reported that the operatives of the anti-graft agency picked him up from his house at Mundubawa in Kano metropolis on Thursday, but Shekarau described the incident as an act of God, doubting if anyone was behind it.
 
The former Education Minister who added that he is ready to defend himself before any judicial body or court of law, explained that somebody mentioned his name among top members of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who were given N25m each to campaign for the former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
 
He said he challenged the person that indicted him before the EFCC operatives to prove the allegation that he collected the money.
 
"I told the EFCC that even if it is one naira that I was accused of collecting, I will not pay until it is proved. Whoever gives me the money should come out and explain where, when and how he gave it to me and anything short of that, I am ready to stay with the EFCC for years until the allegation is proved."
 
He said the operatives have searched his house and could not find anything incriminating against him, adding that they have collected his account number for further investigation, adding that he is ever ready for any investigation and would not mind if the EFCC can trace his financial transactions of 20 years back.
 
While reacting to his arrest by the anti-graft agency, Shekarau, has said that he is ready to 'spend the next 10 years in the custody of the if the need arises.'
 
The PDP chieftain said he would go any length to prove his innocence. "What happened to me could happen to anybody and it was only godly for me to accept my fate, good or bad.

"I am not suspecting any political undertone in my arrest but rather regard it as an act of God to test my faith.

"I was told that one of the beneficiaries of the N950 million in question implicated me; that I was given N25 million as my share of the money but could not state where, how and when," he told reporters on Sunday.

No comments: